Fishline Fund Development Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Social Media contractor, Graphic Design contractor, and Event Manager
Committees: Fund Development Committee, Grant Committee
Time Commitment: Full time, exempt, 40 hours/week including some evenings and weekends
Salary range: $46,000 – $56,000
Overview: Fishine Food Bank & Comprehensive Services is a nonprofit organization that has supported the critical needs of our community in North Kitsap County for over 50 years by providing food, emergency services and resources to transform lives.
The Fund Development Manager is responsible for working with the Executive Director, Board of Directors and Development Committee to plan and coordinate all aspects of fund development and public relations for Fishline Food Bank & Comprehensive Services. This position will provide leadership for all fundraising initiatives, including special events, major gifts, planned giving, sponsorships, donor cultivation, and grant writing. Works collaboratively with the Executive Director to ensure that public relations and marketing is effective and timely. This position requires exceptional skills in administration, project management, financial tracking, relationship building, writing, social media and communication skills.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
• In collaboration with Executive Director, develop a comprehensive annual development plan with strategies for donors and prospects in each constituent group including: individuals, faith groups, civic organizations, and businesses, etc.
• Broaden Fishline’s fundraising reach by developing new approaches such as planned giving, solicitation of bequests, and endowment programs.
• Keep up-to-date on current fundraising programs, practices and procedures used in the nonprofit sector, and join relevant resource development membership associations. Ensures that Fishline’s information is current on external fundraising sites. Example, Guidestar.
• Maintain the annual development calendar containing events, food drives, holiday promotions, asks, media and community engagement events.
• In collaboration with the Board, Finance Committee and Executive Director, set annual funding goals with attainable benchmarks.
• Create and implement strategies for donor development and cultivation which will provide a diverse and sustainable funding base for Fishline Food Bank and Comprehensive Services
• Create and implement development programs such as annual giving, planned giving, major gifts, and volunteer giving programs.
• Identify and pursue new sources of corporate and foundation funding.
• In conjunction with the Executive Director, build and maintain relationships with major donors as appropriate.
• Develop and implement all aspects of direct donor mailings, appeal letters, and other donor communications as needed.
• Acknowledge all gifts and donations in a timely manner and design special thank you events for all categories of donors.
• Manage the grant calendar including researching new prospects, building a grants pipeline, writing proposals, and reports for foundation, corporate, and individual prospects.
• Collaborate with team members from the Grant Committee and Board to lead the grant writing process, including managing the preparation, development, writing and timely submission of all proposals to ensure delivery of the necessary data and documentation.
• Work with appropriate Staff, Board and Volunteers to ensure that all aspects of a successful event are coordinated towards a common goal.
• Work with board members to help coordinate Board of Director’s led events (auction, garden party, etc.)
• Manage all public relations communications for Fishline public events.
• Promote events to the business community as a way to support Fishline and provide support to those groups that want to host an event.
• Work with the Market Manager to develop public guidelines to maximize efficiency of food drives.
• Develop and solicit sponsors for events as needed.
• Oversee all tabling and public relation events.
• Develop and implement donor appreciation and engagement events.
Public Relations and Marketing
• In collaboration with the Executive Director, oversee and direct all media relations, social media communication, media production and general branding of Fishline and its programs.
• Maintain existing relationships and develop new relationships with donors, sponsors, businesses, foundation representatives and others to nurture their connection to the organization.
• In collaboration with the Executive Director, write press releases and media alerts as needed.
• Develop and maintain media contacts with area media outlets.
• Work with social media vendors to develop an effective plan for Fishline and Second Season.
• Coordinate the writing of articles for the local Poulsbo and North Kitsap newspapers.
• Create and/or update all collateral materials to support gift cultivation.
• Oversee content, production and distribution of Fishline’s quarterly newsletter.
Reporting and Database Management
• Provide monthly reports to the ED and the Board which measure progress towards achieving plans.
• In concert with the Executive Director, manage all correspondence with funders related to reporting, contracts, and report/proposal submission.
• Maintain detailed records of grant submissions, cultivation and stewardship activities.
• Maintain Donor Tools database and work with Executive Director to implement the donor section of SalesForce.
• Ensure that the donor database information is current and accurate.
• B.A./B.S. preferred with an emphasis or concentration in business, marketing, public relations or related field
• Two – five years professional development and fundraising experience
• Experience and contacts in Kitsap County are a plus
• Advanced PC skills and expert proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
• Desire to work as part of a team and willingness to promote the principles and views of Fishline
• Ability to work with minimal supervision – self-motivated and confident
• Ability to organize work and handle multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to work well with people from all backgrounds with varying degrees of experience
• Ability to inspire, train, motivate, challenge, and supervise volunteers
• Confident public speaking and able to express ideas verbally and in writing
Submit a resume and cover letter to:
Fishline Food Bank & Comprehensive Services
PO Box 1517
Poulsbo, WA 98370