Christmas Season 2019
Dear North Kitsap Neighbor,
Again this Christmas season, Fishline Foodbank and Comprehensive Services will be offering our “Christmas Child” program. We invite you to join us in making the holidays special for families in North Kitsap and help fulfill Christmas wishes for our local children and youth by hosting a Giving Tree. Without your help many children may not otherwise experience the holiday spirit of receiving gifts.
The Christmas Child program provides an opportunity for parents to tell us about their children’s wishes and needs, and give us more details about the child’s favorite activities, hobbies and interests. Individuals and groups sponsor the child by choosing three items from the child’s list. We also encourage parents and sponsors to consider giving experiences aligned with the child’s interests. An experience can truly enrich a child’s life and spark a love of lifelong learning.
The wishes and needs are communicated to the public on gift tags distributed via Giving Trees at area businesses and other locations. Fishline supplies the gift tags; businesses and organizations supply their own Christmas Tree. Shoppers choose a tag, purchase three items from the list and place them (unwrapped) in one big bag. Bags of gifts are returned to the location where the tag was found on its tree. Gifts can be picked up by Fishline, or can be dropped off during our drop off hours. Additionally, some businesses choose to have a toy drive, which Fishline can support with donation barrels and posters. (Please see attached FAQ for a detailed overview of the program logistics).
Last year nearly 400 children were recipients of holiday gifts through the Christmas Child program and we expect more participants this year. In Kitsap County, 17% of families with children younger than 5 years of age live below the poverty level. In homes with a single-mother of children under 5, that number jumps to 50%. You can help brighten the holidays for these families and give them a Christmas to remember.
Thank you for supporting the children of North Kitsap,
Development and Public Relations Manager
Giving Tree FAQ’S
- BY FRIDAY NOV. 8th: Contact email@example.com with the number of Gift Tags you would like to receive for your Giving Tree.
- FRIDAY, NOV. 22nd: You will receive your tags by Friday, Nov. 22nd. If your tree runs low on tags because of purchases, we can replenish!
- MONDAY, NOV. 25TH: Giving Trees (tree provided by your business) must be in place by Monday
- Shoppers will select tags and go shopping for the child.
- Gifts should be unwrapped and placed in one black plastic bag. Shoppers circle the items they purchased on their tag and attach the tag to the black bag.
- MONDAY, DEC. 9: Gifts are due back to the Giving Tree location.
- Gifts will be picked up from Giving Tree sites by the Christmas Child team on or around the due date or by arrangement as needed. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange pickup.
- DEC. 9-13: Gifts can be dropped off to
Fishline. (19705 NW Viking Ave. Bldg. B)
- M/T/TH/F 10am-3pm · Wed. 1pm-6pm
- We encourage shoppers to be creative and consider experiences as a great way to give. Sports tickets, swim lessons, dance classes, workshops, event tickets, and other activities that align with the child’s interests.
- Gift cards are greatly appreciated and are one of the best gifts for teenagers in the program. Favorites include Forever 21, GameStop, Regal Cinema, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Old Navy, Walmart, Ulta, Target, & local restaurants.
- We also love donations of new, unwrapped toys! These gifts will be used for children whose tags go unsponsored. Any remaining gifts after Christmas wishes have been fulfilled will go to Fishline’s Birthday Fairy program which provides birthday gifts all year long.
- We can provide posters for your Toy Drive collection box. Contact email@example.com to request posters.
- Monetary donations are happily accepted to help us make purchases to ensure the children’s wishes and needs are fulfilled. Drop off donations at Fishline during business hours or mail to: P.O. Box 1517, Poulsbo, 98370 or online at fishlinehelps.org/get-involved/donate. Please earmark for Christmas Child.